March 10, 2010

The Aftermath

After running my half marathon, I was a bit worried about Monday. My friends who'd an their first half last year told me horror stories about barely being able to walk. Add on the fact that when I went to bed I was still experiencing a lot of hip pain and I just knew it was going to be a recipe for disaster.

But I woke up with a minuscule amount of pain in my hip and slight pain in my quads. The quad pain was nothing that a little Biofreeze couldn't help and the hip pain wasn't enough to impair my mobility... if you don't count getting in and out of my SUV on my way to Track Shack to pick up my 13.1 sticker.

I was still feeling good later that afternoon so, in typical me fashion I decided that I needed to do something and went for a 2 mile walk with my furbabies... I still can't decide whether it was a good idea or not because within a couple of hours of getting home it hurt to move my thighs at all. I rested all day Tuesday. And yesterday I could still feel some soreness and tightness in my thighs so I did some Pilates which really helped. I've decided that the only exercise I should do for most the rest of the week is light stretching. Which kind of sucks because I want to do the Zimmerman Distance Dare event on Saturday. Boo!!!

This week is flying by! On my SparkPeople and Twitter pages I usually post three things that I'm thankful for each Thursday so here goes:

1. Faith: Even though things are not perfect in my life I have this strong sense that I am on the verge of something great, so I'm not stressed and am still able to appreciate the joys in my life. And I jump out of bed excited to see what each day will bring.

2. Being able to surprise my mom for her birthday: She thought that we had planned a family dinner with her, my siblings, and I, but I invited some of our extended family and some old friends and coworkers of hers. She was surprised and really felt special. Oh, and my sister made her wear a tiara.


3. My first half marathon: I met a lot of wonderful people both online and IRL while training for my race. Plus, I can't think of anything else that would have been as much of a confidence booster or given me as much of a sense of accomplishment as training for and running my first half. Ever since Sunday, one of my first thoughts in the morning is "I ran a half marathon!" and I get out of bed with a huge grin on my face. And I want to tell random people all about it. Like the guy at Michaels who was directing me to the shadowboxes. I bet he was like "umm... yeah, so I don't care" lol.

Btw, I don't know when I'm going to put my shadowbox together because I'm not ready to part with my medal or tiara. I like to put them on in the morning and walk around the house for a while. It makes me happy!

2 comments:

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Congrats! You did excellent on your race. I'm so proud of you! You inspire, you give me the inspiration knowing that it can be done for a non-runner. I can't wait to get back to running, first I must heal, afterall I did just have a baby. Anyhow still looking forward to that day that we race together, take care.

CardioBunny said...

Thanks girlie! And congrats again on little man =)